Need a Business Immigration Attorney? These 8 Tips Can Help You Get the Right One
The United States immigration system is a complicated one. The laws that govern the process for people to enter the country to live or work are not always easy to decipher. There are a number of reasons you may want to talk to business immigration attorneys. If you are a business whose employees are from foreign countries, a resident or citizen who wants to bring your family to live with you, or you are looking to make investments, the right immigration law firm can make all of the difference for you. Here are some tips for finding the right person or law firm to represent you:
- Talk to people you know. Given the number of people that want to enter the country, the chances are good that you know someone who has needed to talk to immigration lawyers. Ask your friends, family, and colleagues. They may have some ideas to help you compile a list of business immigration attorneys. Getting a recommendation from someone you know and trust is the best way to get good referrals.
- Look into their reputation. When you are talking to different business immigration attorneys, it is important to find what the “word on the street” about the immigration lawyers you are talking to. You want a legal representative who has a reputation for knowing more than just about everyone else. They need to be known for their expertise and experience in this area.
- Research their success rate and how well they do with cases that are similar to yours. There is “nothing new under the sun” and the chances are good that business immigration attorneys have experience working on cases that are a lot like yours. How has the lawyer or law firm you are talking to done with these cases? You should look for immigration law firms that have a good track record with cases like yours.
- Look at their location. The importance of this depends on your situation. If you have brought in a family member from another nation, you may have problems come up that will need more of an immediate response. If that is the case, you should have an immigration lawyer who is nearby. If this is not the case, their proximity to where you are may not be as important.
- What languages do they speak? When you are dealing with the complicated rules and regulations that surround the U.S. immigration laws so it is important that you be able to communicate well with your legal representatives. If there at people at the law firm who understand and speak the language you speak, this can make the process a lot easier.
- Ask about the first consultation, is that free? The majority of law firms in the nation, regardless of what kind of law they specialize in, do offer free consultations for prospective clients. This can be really the best way to get to know the people who will work on your case (in addition to the business immigration attorneys, there are paralegals, legal assistants, and others), and it gives them a chance to get to know you and your case.
- How much immigration law cases does the firm handle? A lot of law firms around the nation do work on different kinds of law. While you do not necessarily need to go with a law firm that only handles immigration law, you should go with one that does a decent percentage of its business in this area. Immigration law is not a static area. The rules and regulations are always being updated so you need to work with lawyers who are up to date with this.
- Ask how long they have been working with immigration law. While being up to date on immigration law is important, you also want a law firm that has a decent amount of experience with this kind of law. An immigration lawyer that has a lot of experience knows the ins and outs of the law and may have a better chance of getting you the outcome you are looking for.
If you follow these tips, you will get the best immigration lawyer for your needs and situation.