5 Tips for Handling a Personal Injury Claim
Personal injury claims can be very complicated and it’s not always easy to ensure that you’re getting the best possible deal unless you take action right away. Here are a few tips to help you through a personal injury claim so that you can maximize your settlement and minimize your stress:
- Get medical attention immediately. You’ll need proof of the costs of your injury, along with documentation from a medical professional that your injury is legitimate. The best way to make sure that you’re getting an accurate assessment of the real damage is to seek medical attention as soon as possible.
- Watch your words carefully. This is especially important if you’re injured during a car accident or during some other type of major accident. It’s important that you don’t immediately blame the other party (since this could lead to some bad feelings and make for a difficult settlement), but it’s also important that you don’t take on the blame yourself.
- Keep detailed records — of everything. You’ll want proof of every medical appointment you’ve had, every bill you’ve received, and every day you’ve had to miss work. Keeping track of your finances during a personal injury case will help you prove how much money it has cost you (and it will also help your personal injury lawyer advocate for you).
- Be mindful of insurance companies. The thing you have to remember is that insurance companies are always looking to save money and not pay you whenever possible. Their terms are notoriously confusing and if you’re having trouble figuring out what an insurance company is asking for or charging for, your best option is to seek help from a personal injury attorney.
- Don’t try to handle it all on your own. Most people aren’t legal “experts” so the details of a personal injury lawsuit are pretty confusing. Instead of trying to navigate everything on your own, seek guidance from an experienced personal injury lawyer.